geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik B. Craig" <gineme...@gmail.com>
Subject Server monitoring and management
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:56:07 GMT
All,

Recently Viet Nguyen and myself have been working on a project that would
ultimately assist a great deal in monitoring and managing services within a
single geronimo instance, as well as in a cluster environment with upwards
of thousands of machines. While it is currently in its infant stages, we
felt it best to get some basic framework down and take it here as soon as
possible to get as much community involvement in the project as possible,
hopefully resulting in a much more polished product at the end.

Currently what we have is a collection agent (MBean) that will run on a
given instance of geronimo (can be anything minimal and up), collecting data
from Tomcat only at present (No worries, we haven't forgotten about jetty
and our other core component friends). This is done at a set interval and
thrown into an XML file residing in the /var directory. This mbean also
serves as a jmx server connection, ultimately providing the gateway to any
number of operations and data requests (deploy/undeploys, star/stops,
attribute modifications) from a 'management node' to the machine running
this mbean in a clustered environment.

In conjuction with this, we have also been doing the basic work on a porlet
designed around the new (improved) much more plugable admin console that
Paul has been doing a lot of work on lately. Currently it is utilizing dojo
chart to generate graphs on request with data that is pulled from the
Management MBean, ultimately coming from the logged snapshots in the xml
file.

It would be greatly appreciated if some of you would take the time to have a
look at what we currently have, maybe give some input... and just maybe if
some of you are interested, hopping on board as well =)

There is a jira up that has the necessary files attached to it

There is also a more in-depth explanation of long term goals with this up in
the wiki here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDEV/Monitoring+and+Management+Service

In addition to these, here are a couple direct links to some screenshots to
ohh and ahh over the pretty graphs
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12364451/screenshot1.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12364451/screenshot2.jpg

Thanks!