geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat connectors
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 23:12:45 GMT

On Aug 9, 2007, at 3:58 PM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 9, 2007, at 11:18 AM, threepointsomething wrote:
>>

>>> I am quite new to Geronimo, so I am not sure if the steps I
>>> followed are
>>> right. Here goes:
>>>
>>> I had to ensure that the NIO connector is picked up in place of
>>> the basic
>>> HTTP connector, so I made the following change in
>>> configs\tomcat6\src\plan\plan.xml:
>>>
>>> &lt;gbean name="TomcatWebConnector"
>>> class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.connector.Http11NIOConnectorGBean"
>>> &gt;
>>>
>>> I then rebuilt config\tomcat6\. When I started Geronimo, it
>>> picked up the
>>> NIO connector as expected.
>>>
>>>   Listening on Ports:
>>>     1050 127.0.0.1 CORBA Naming Service
>>>     1099 0.0.0.0   RMI Naming
>>>     1527 0.0.0.0   Derby Connector
>>>     2001 127.0.0.1 OpenEJB ORB Adapter
>>>     4201 0.0.0.0   OpenEJB Daemon
>>>     6882 127.0.0.1 OpenEJB ORB Adapter
>>>     8009 0.0.0.0   Tomcat Connector AJP AJP
>>>     8080 0.0.0.0   Tomcat Connector HTTP NIO HTTP
>>>     8443 0.0.0.0   Tomcat Connector HTTPS BIO HTTPS
>>>     9999 0.0.0.0   JMX Remoting Connector
>>>    61613 0.0.0.0   ActiveMQ Transport Connector
>>>    61616 0.0.0.0   ActiveMQ Transport Connector
>>>
>>> I then ran a sample comet application (WAR) that was executing
>>> properly in
>>> Tomcat and tried it in this instance of Geronimo. Seemed to work
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if there is a simpler way of configuring NIO
>>> without having
>>> to rebuild config\tomcat6. If so can you please suggest how I can
>>> do that?
>>
>> Well, I expect we actually want to ship with the NIO connectors
>> used by default anyway, like we do for jetty.
> I'd ship with the 6.0.14 code, tons of fixes since the last stable
> release.
> the code has been voted stable and ready to announce, we're just
> waiting for the RM to pull his head out of his rear :)
> http://people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6/v6.0.14/

That's a bit of a different point.  I was referring to which of the 8
or so tomcat connectors we turn on by default: I think we want to
turn on the NIO ones rather than the BIO ones.  The tomcat code base
we are shipping is based pretty much on near-to-6.0.14 code but with
the annotation processor changes applied, which we need for
certification.  I imagine as soon as the annotation processor changes
are in a released tomcat version we'll switch to that, until then we
are stuck building our own copies.

thanks
david jencks