geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: removal of spring dependencies from cxf module
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:53:21 GMT

Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2007, at 5:35 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> Kevan,
>>
>> IIU the reason you are asking, removal of the Spring dependencies from
>> CXF would appear to be a band aid and temporary fix to the real issue.
>> Is this about the Spring versioning and different versions getting
>> loaded? (If not then never mind)
>
> I wouldn't characterize this as a band-aid. And I doubt that I would
> advocate a different approach to solving this problem in a 2.0.x release.

Umm...why wouldn't you characterize this as a band aid?  The problem is
our class loaders.  You still have this problem if someone integrates
something that uses Spring...right?

> FYI, at present, cxf-based web services client code requires access to
> Spring classes from the application's ClassLoader. So, even if you
> wanted to completely isolate the application ClassLoader from system
> ClassLoaders, this must be changed. I probably could have narrowed my
> request a bit by saying can we just fix this web services client code
> dependency -- better, I think to remove the spring dependency all
> together from our cxf module.

So what would happen if I integrate another 3rd party component that
uses Spring...say...Terracotta DSO? Or...ServiceMix?  What happens then?