geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL code in myfaces
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2007 04:52:11 GMT
On Aug 9, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

>> I'm a bit confused though about the inclusion of cddl xsds in apache
>> svn since IIUC you have indicated xsds are definitely "source
>> code" (I completely agree) and the draft 3rd party licensing page
>> says cddl source can't be in apache releases.  It doesn't say whether
>> a few files can be in svn or not AFAICT but that certainly looks like
>> it would prohibit shipping an asf jar with any cddl xsds in it.
>
> I've updated the draft 3rd party licensing page:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html

+1

Thanks for the update, Sam!

IIUC, Geronimo makes two uses of the CDDL-licensed xsd files.

1. The unmodified xsd files are available to the xml parser to avoid
downloading the files from the internet during operation.

2. The unmodified xsd files are "compiled" into Java classes which
are then compiled into binary form for execution.

The new policy seems to address both cases, assuming that Geronimo
chooses to update their copies of the files to the CDDL-licensed
versions.

> The longer term intent is to revise the document to say something
> along the lines of "Category A is always OK",
> "Category C is never

You mean Category X I assume...

Craig

P.S. One more note: I've been unable to get a timely response from
the Java SE folks regarding licensing of the two remaining dtd files.
Hopefully there will be a reply shortly...