geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Vamsavardhana Reddy" <c1vams...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tuscany/Geronimo Integration Demo
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:14:29 GMT
On 8/21/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <jsdelfino@apache.org> wrote:

> Simon Nash wrote:

> >> I'd like to spend a little bit of time today to get the
> >> Geronimo/Integration code building as part of the Tuscany build, get
> >> it into our Eclipse build profile to generate the correct classpath
> >> declarations, and add an itest for this integration.
> >>
> >> We have discussed two options for having this code built in Tuscany
> >> so far:
> >> [a] keep the integration code in the Geronimo repository, have
> >> Tuscany point to it using SVN externals
> >> [b] move the integration code to the Tuscany repository and have the
> >> Geronimo folks point to it using SVN externals if they want
> >>
> >> I prefer [a] for now, as it allows me to build this code in Tuscany,
> >> while continuing to allow the Geronimo folks to work on it without
> >> breaking them.
> >>
> >> Ant has raised concerns with [a]. I have raised questions and
> >> concerns with [b], but I may very well be convinced that [b] is
> >> better... if I get answers to the questions I asked, and if the
> >> Geronimo folks working on this integration are OK with [b] as well.
> >>
> >> Could people please jump in and describe what will work best for
> >> them, I'd like to make progress on this. Thanks.
> >>
> > In the long or medium term this code should become a Geronimo feature
> > that
> > is part of the Geronimo release distribution.  Moving it to the Tuscany
> > repository is a step in the wrong direction from this perspective.
> >
> > In the short term it seems that this could be regarded as a separate
> > component that is not directly part of either Geronimo or Tuscany but
> > requires both of these to be installed in order to use it.  As a
> separate
> > component, it could be bundled with the Tuscany binary distro like the
> > many other external dependencies that we include.
> >
> > So I'd go for [a] but structure the build to place the binaries for this
> > component somewhere different than the modules that are part of
> > java/sca/.
> > Something like java/sca/externals/geronimo-tuscany perhaps?  And I'd
> > suggest publishing it to the mvn repos (when it's ready) under the
> > "geronimo" group ID, not "tuscany".
> >
> >   Simon
> >

> I agree that the Geronimo plugin for Tuscany more naturally belongs to
> Geronimo and should become a Geronimo feature. This is a good reason for
> keeping this code in the Geronimo repository.
>
> So:
> I'm +1 on keeping the code in Geronimo
> -1 on moving it to the Tuscany SVN
>
> I won't use SVN externals to point to this code from the Tuscany SVN
> since Ant is -1 on this.
>
> Manu, Vamsi, I have two questions:
> - are you planning to move this code to a better place than sandbox in
> the Geronimo repository?

I was not sure if this code was to be put under Geronimo svn.  I will find
out if I can move this out of sandbox to geronimo\plugins.

- are you planning to publish
> geronimo-tuscany-plugin-1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.car somewhere?

So far it has not been published to any repository.  I was making it
available in geronimo sandbox itself.

In the meantime:
> - the source is at
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/tuscany-integration
> - it built OK for me before but now I'm getting this error
>
> [WARNING] Unable to get resource
> 'org.apache.geronimo.plugins:car-maven-plugin:pom:2.0.1' from repository
> central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
> GroupId: org.apache.geronimo.plugins
> ArtifactId: car-maven-plugin
> Version: 2.0.1

>   org.apache.geronimo.plugins:car-maven-plugin:pom:2.0.1
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
>   tomcat-m2-repo (http://repository.codehaus.org),
>   apache-snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
>   temp-repo (http://people.apache.org/~manugeorge/repository),
>   apache-incubating
> (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository),
>   ussg-maven-repo (http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/eclipse/modeling/emf/emf/maven2
> ),
>   ws.zones (http://ws.zones.apache.org/repository)
>
> Do I need to add another Maven repos to my Maven settings? Is version
> 2.0.1 correct for this plugin?

Geronimo 2.0.1 artifacts have not been published yet.  I have asked Manu to
extract
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/geronimo-2.0.1-rc1/geronimo-2.0.1-rc1-repo.tar.gzto
the repository he has in his home directory on
people.apache.org.  Or else you can extract this file to your local M2 repo
to be able to build the plugin from code in sandbox.