geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From toby cabot <t...@caboteria.org>
Subject Re: New openejb deployer has very different assumptions than the rest of the deployment system-- not compatible with offline deployment
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:07:14 GMT
On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 03:02:54PM -0800, David Jencks wrote:
> Previously we went to a lot of trouble to make sure that every bit of
> deployment code ran without any runtime components started.  I would
> like to know if this new dependency is intentional, and essential.  I
> don't think we should introduce such a very large change in
> philosophy about the geronimo server architecture without  discussion.

Hi folks,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was curious what's up with
this.  I just got a spiffy new PC which led to some poking around in
the offline deployer code to find out why there's 10s of "dead air"
everytime I run an offline deployment command.  Turns out that it's in
the active MQ code - there are two connections and for some reason
each connection shutdown sits for ~5s.

But that leads to a different question, which is why does the offline
deployer tool start active MQ?  I found that when the
OfflineDeployerStarter.startPersistentOfflineConfigurations() method
starts the "openejb-deployer" config a whole mess of other things
start, including active MQ.

This is where I start to lose the trail.  In the openejb-deployer
there are some module/gbean/xml-attribute/environment/dependencies,
which in this case are openejb, openejb-core, geronimo-openejb, and
system-database, but I don't see active MQ.  Is active MQ a dependency
of one of these dependencies?

I guess that offline deployment isn't a popular feature so I don't
expect this to be a high priority issue but I think there was
consensus back in February that this should be fixed before the thread
went cold.  I'll help if I can, but I'm at the limits of my Geronimo
knowledge so pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Toby