geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] to plugin or not to plugin, that is the question
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:04:08 GMT
On Aug 30, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

>> -  Is there any place for OSGI in Geronimo's plugin strategy?
> If all the plugins are developed and released independently, I wonder
> if dependencies on multiple versions can cause potential problems.

My experience so far has been that plugins only work on the version
of Geronimo that they are exported from (or the version of car
plugin), mainly due to the fact that their configuration data is
stored in a serialized gbean info java object.  When an API changes
in the server it usually makes previously exported plugins
incompatible.  This has a lot of ramifications on release
management.   Using XML as the serialization format for configuration
data could help, I forget where that discussion left off.

Best wishes,

View raw message