geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Prasad Kashyap" <goyathlay.geron...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Atkins for Geronimo - was Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:53:15 GMT

> Nice. Thanks for doing this Jay and Prasad...
>
> Nothing really jumps out at me as being unnecessary... Just scanning
> that list for the big hitters...
>
> com/sun (5M) is new
> org/apache/yoko (4M) is new
> org/apache/castor (3M) is new. OpenEJB is no longer dependent on
> castor (IIRC) We could look to see who else is dependent on it...
> org/apache/openjpa (3M) is new.
> org/apache/axis2 (3M)
> org/apache/cxf (2M) is new.

I know this is ugly but should we consider splitting the assembly
further based on the webservices ? Just axis/axis2 artifacts alone
account for approx 5MB. It's other transitive deps may add up to
another 1K.

Or do we need to bundle both webservices packs in the same server at
all ? Do users prefer to switch webservices midstream ?

I know we would like to go for a pluggable component solution. But
until we actually get there, we have the following options -

1. work on the pluggable option right away
2. split assemblies further
3. live with bloated size due to the duplicate components till we achieve #1

Cheers
Prasad