geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Ideas on a rc.d kind of directory
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:16:53 GMT
Maybe a few more thoughts on this...

What I am thinking of is a relatively small JVM which is a process
controller.  With some basic administration muck built into it to
start, stop, kill, list, fork, spawn, clone, blah, blah... server
processes... or if needed any support processes.  IMO that is a bit
more than what the commons-launcher bits do, though probably whatever
the start bits do will most certainly end up re-using the ant-
launcher bits, as that code is already really solid for starting up
new JVM instances.

The controller process can also serve as a watchdog to make sure
processes are responsive and restart them if/when they barf, and if
supported periodically tickle them for basic health information etc.

This is kinda what I had always envisioned for the g-twiddle stuff
way, way, back.  Gshell gets us much closer to making that actually
happen, though its still a work in progress, but I think that its put
together enough to try to implement an example so others might have a
better idea for the general vision.

Perhaps use of commons-launcher could do as a much shorter-term
implementation, though I would rather spend my time working on a few
GShell commands and massage the assembly to make it work, then work
on trimming down the GShell size, which is already kinda small, but
could be smaller if I tried.  GShell already has the basic
underpinnings to handle most of what I'm thinking of, though the
telnet/ssh stuff is being a PITA right now.  I may drop that for now
and just implement my own tiny shell client over ssl as a work around
until I can finally get the ssh support sorted.

--jason