geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Apache Roller v4.0 plugin
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:07:00 GMT

On Jul 19, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Peter Petersson wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> On Jul 18, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Peter Petersson wrote:
>>
>>> Nice repacking David your experience shines right throw it  ;)  I
>>> have some suggestions that may future enhance the plugin.
>>>
>>> As it is now the roller exposed plugin modules consist of a
>>> database choice and a container choice but as the roller-jetty
>>> and roller-tomcat modules is dependent on specific database
>>> configurations, in the current setup the derby database, and as
>>> this dependency seems to be hard to "work around"(?) it would
>>> maybe be a good idea to rearrange the modules as follows
>>>
>>> * roller-jetty-derby  (prev roller-jetty)
>>> * roller-jetty-mysql  (new)
>>> * roller-tomcat-derby (prev roller-tomcat)
>>> * roller-tomcat-mysql (new)
>>>
>>> ... and so on, and just expose them as the instalable roller
>>> plugin alternatives leaving the database modules (roller-xxxx-
>>> database) to be automaticaly pull in (prev. selectable).
>>>
>>> Would this be preferable or do you (David) or anyone else have
>>> other ideas on how to best package the roller plugin to be easy
>>> maintainable and expendable to other roller supported databases ?
>>> Im quite new to maven, plugins and G for that mater so there may
>>> be more elegant solutions to this, anyway i find myself needing a
>>> roller-tomcat-mysql module to be able to test that combo out
>>> without messing with the current roller-tomcat (derby specific)
>>> module.
>>
>> I think instead of the above we can add a line to var/config/
>> artifact_aliases.properties
>>
>> org.apache.geronimo.plugins/roller-derby-database//
>> car=org.apache.geronimo.plugins/roller-mysql-database/2.0-SNAPSHOT/
>> car
>>
>> Then roller will start using the mysql database configuration.
>>
>> I haven't actually installed mysql and tried this, but based on a
>> lot of use of artifact_aliases in the tck it should work fine.
>> Could you try it?
>
> I can now confirm that the artifact_alias switch worked :) although
> with a couple of glitches.
>
> I started with installing the roller derby db on tomcat and the
> database tables was created nicely. Installed tomcat-roller and
> started it up as expected, added a roller user account  (to make
> some changes in the roller derby db). Added and saved the artifact
> alias line (manually) and installed the mysql-roller-database (or
> maybe I did it the other way around) getting some errors as the
> table, via the DatabaseInitializationGBean and script, creation
> didn't work, created them manually.
> Now /roller was off-line (not a total surprise) and it wouldn't
> start as it complained about missing dependency on the roller-derby-
> database. Restarting the Geronimo server resolved the problem
> roller could be started and my newly created account (in the derby
> db) was, as expected, gone. Created a new account and confirming
> the mysql database update with "select * from rolleruser". I may
> get some time this weekend to try to make this a bit smother.

It would be great to have something in the geronimo-plugin.xml file
that would modify artifact_aliases.xml.  However it might be a fairly
large project....

I think what you'd want to do is modify the
ExplicitDefaultArtifactResolver so the plugin installer can tell it
to change stuff.  It should either have a query for an existing entry
or return any existing entry so the plugin installer can stop that
artifact, which will stop all the artifacts depending on it.  I guess
ideally the plugin system would then try to start all the artifacts
that just got stopped...

thanks!
david jencks