geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Ideas on a rc.d kind of directory
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:17:55 GMT

On Jul 13, 2007, at 7:04 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As we move forward and we integrate with more and more 3rd party
> products, we will need the ability to be able to change an environment
> variable through a plugin, or add a commandline JAVA_OPTS, etc.
>
> Currently our startup scripts call the setjavaenv.sh to set
> environment
> properties.  It would really be nice to have the ability to have a
> "scripts" directory, where all of the scripts get executed before
> Geronimo is launched.  Why do we want this?
>
> As we grow in our plugins, they will need to set environment or java
> options set before running G.  They may also have a need to start
> or run
> other outside processes  that are not a part of G.
>
> It would be great to allow plugins to install an rc script that gets
> executed to do activities before and perhaps after G is run?
>
> I would propose we create a scripts directory under bin or under var
> that could be similar to init.d, and have it called with start/stop,
> etc.  This way plugins can install specific scripts in these
> directories
> for execution.
>
> Thoughts?

How cross platform can we make this?

I'm not sure I know what kinds of things you expect this to be used
for, so if you can provide some more concrete examples I'd appreciate
it.  I'm wondering if this is the kind of stuff that we've been
taking care of so far with e.g. the SystemPropertiesGbean and
DirectoryInitializationGBean.

thanks
david jencks