geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Geronimo 2.0 License and Notice Files
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:24:30 GMT
I've taken a pass through a Jetty Java EE assembly to identify the
license file and notice file requirements of the various artifacts
that we include in our binary distribution. I still need to gather
the information for a Tomcat / Axis2 assembly.

The results can be viewed here -- http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?
key=p7Ih4BV4hgEalSc8kSRtxBQ&hl=en_US

If some people could review, that would be great.

Next steps and pseudo-random license trivia:

Many jar archives included by Geronimo do not include LICENSE or
NOTICE files. In most cases, I've tracked down the appropriate
LICENSE information for the resource, and included a url for the
LICENSE file. I haven't always done this. So, some work still
remains. Most/all of this remaining work involves Apache projects.
So, I don't invision a big problem. In some of the cases, the work is
not chasing down the license information, but insuring that
appropriate LICENSE/NOTICE files are generated in the original jar
archive (e.g. OpenEJB).

We currently include all of our LICENSE information in a single root
LICENSE.txt file. Some Apache projects include a licenses/ directory,
instead. This directory includes all of the non-ASL licenses for the
project. Although it's probably a bit more work, I personally prefer
a single file. However, this is a debatable point. If others have an
opinion, they are welcome to voice it.

The root LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files (by "root" I mean the
license/notice file in the bottom level directory of our source and
binary distributions) contain the license info for the entire assembly.

License/notice files in individual jar files (e.g. geronimo-
activation-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar) apply only to the resources contained
within that specific jar file. In nearly all cases, this means that
LICENSE.txt only contains the Apache License 2.0. The only exception
which I'm aware of is geronimo-util-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar. The LICENSE.txt
file in this jar contains both AL2 and the Bouncy Castle license,
since geronimo-util contains the asn1 encoding that we obtained from
Bouncy Castle.

We don't currently have different license/notice files that are
specific to our Jetty/Tomcat CXF/Axis distributions. Nor do we
attempt to generate license/notice files specific to our minimal
assemblies. So current course and speed, our root license/notice
files will be a superset of all of our various assemblies. This seems
fine, to me. If anyone sees a problem with this, speak now...

Once all of the data in the google spreadsheet is complete, and we've
had a chance to review. I'll plan on generating new LICENSE.txt,
NOTICE.txt, and DISCLAIMER.txt files for our 2.0 release. I'd guess
this will be towards the end of the week/over the weekend. If anyone
else is interested in grabbing a shovel and pitching in, let me know...

--kevan