geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.1 - what's next?
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 14:58:08 GMT
On Jul 2, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> *Dynamic Console for managing installed artifacts*
>
> Improve the console framework to allow installed artifacts to
> register a portlet for managing the configuration.  For highest
> level of flexibility a component would provide the required portlet
> elemtns and we would bind them into the navigation framework and
> security infracstructure.  We'd need a good set of docs and samples
> to help people in deploying this easy.  Ideally we would start with
> a minimal assembly and a mgmt console so that new functions could
> be loaded through the console.  I'm not sure that we'd need to have
> an assembly smaller than minimal at this point since we'd need a
> web container for the mgmt console anyway.

I'm a huge fan of this idea as it will allow us to provide a console
for the minimal assembly that can scale up to the full JEE5 console
in a step-wise fashion.  Also it allows geronimo users/developers to
add portlets to the admin console for administering their
components.  Another advantage is that we can provide a more
streamlined console for the JEE5 assemblies and allow the user to add
the heavier weight views (like the ones that require Dojo) on demand
from the plugin installer.

The stuff in sandbox/portals is making some good progress towards
this goal.  I'll send an update on that effort soon.

Best wishes,
Paul