geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: geronimo plugin schema (longish)
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:15:30 GMT
On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:42 PM, Lin Sun wrote:

> After a plugin is published, a user finds it also works with a
> different version of geronimo (without any other code change), so a
> user would modify the plugin's xml file to add the newer version
> geronimo there.  Should the user also change the version of the
> plugin itself in this case?

Yeah that situation could be a little confusing when using this
schema.  The versions of geronimo that the plugin supports are in
<geronimo-version> elements.   But the version of the plugin itself
is implicit in its <module-id> which uses standard maven naming
conventions (group / id / version / type).   So if a single version
of the plugin works in multiple versions of geronimo then a sample
catalog entry might look like:

     <plugin>
             <plugin-module>
                 <module-id>awesome.group/awesomeApp/1.0/car</module-id>
                 <geronimo-version>2.0</geronimo-version>
             </plugin-module>
             <plugin-module>
                 <module-id>awesome.group/awesomeApp/1.0/car</module-id>
                 <geronimo-version>2.1</geronimo-version>
             </plugin-module>
     </plugin>

Maybe for the sake of clarity the plugin version should be explicitly
declared by introducing a new <version> element as a child of
<plugin>.   But I waffle on that because it creates an opportunity to
have a different version embedded in the module-id.  That might prove
useful in some contrived scenario but it seems dangerous.

> Also, any consideration of how plugins can work with geronimo and
> other products who uese geronimo?

Actually the main goal here is to make it easier for application
developers to set up and maintain their own plugin repositories.
Right now I think its a little burdensome and we can make some simple
improvements like these schema changes that will help a lot.

Best wishes,
Paul