geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Luciano Resende" <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo-Tuscany integration(Sending to both lists)
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 16:06:28 GMT
Sorry for jumping on this thread a little late, but I would like to
cover your question around data sources and connection pools you had
in item B). Comments inline...

On 6/29/07, Manu George <manu.t.george@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jean-Sebastien,
>            I have put the comments inline.
>
> > Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Myself and Manu have done some work (a small PoC) on Geronimo Tuscany
> > > integration.  As a first step, we have created a plugin for Geronimo
> > > that will let the user to deploy standalone tuscany modules into
> > > Geronimo and use the deployed services by looking up in JNDI.  I have
> > > put the code in Geronimo Sandbox at
> > > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/tuscany-integration/.
> >
> > Great! I started to look at it, I'll try to get it running but it may
> > take a few days before I get to it.
> >
> > Which version of Geronimo should I use? M6 or Trunk? the full J2EE
> > server or is Little-G sufficient?
> >
> We had tried it out with Trunk. M6 will not work as we fixed a JIRA
> with geronimo to get this to work. I think the JIRA is not in M6. The
> JIRA is GERONIMO-3242. Not sure abt Little G but don't see any reason
> it shouldn't work.
>

> > > Going forward, we have the following in mind:
> > > A) Write a deploymentwatcher so that Tuscany modules can be bundled as
> > > part of J2EE artifacts.
> >
> > More on this below in my answer to your question (2).
> >
> > > B) Extend the current deployer to enable Tuscany Modules deployed in
> > > Geronimo to access resources like datasources from Geronimo
> >
> > Will the datasources be used internally by a Data Access component
> > runtime (like the Tuscany DAS extension) or an ODE/BPEL component
> > integration runtime (which I think uses a database) for example?
> >
> > Or are you thinking about exposing the datasources to application code,
> > and if it's the case, what will an application developer have to write
> > to use them?
>
> What we were thinking was to expose datasources to application code.
> An application developer will have to use InitialContext.lookup to
> access the datasource. We were thinking of a JEE style of programming.
> If the component implementation is Java inside the implementation he
> can lookup datasources and use them thereby leveraging the connection
> pooling infrastructure of Geronimo.
>
> I am not familiar with the Tuscany DAS extension but I guess we can
> get it to use the Geronimo Datasource. The basic idea was to leverage
> the connection pooling functionality of Geronimo for sca services that
> use data from databases. But from what i see an SCA component
> developer will be using the Tuscany DAS extension and so it will be of
> more value if that can utilize the server connection pooling. Please
> correct me if I am wrong. I am yet to read up the DAS stuff.

Tuscany DAS has support for data sources. You can use it's
configuration side file to specify witch data source to use, and it
would do the properly  JNDI lookup to it, you can find more details on
how to configure data sources in DAS on this post [1]. Note that, when
 integrated with SCA, there is also the option to configure the data
source access trough the composite file. Based on this, I don't think
that SCA x Geronimo integration code need to do anything special here.

[1] http://lresende.blogspot.com/2006/11/configuring-mysql-datasource-in-tomcat.html

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer