geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject How to make minor deployment problems emit warnings rather than make the deployment fail?
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:33:02 GMT
Someone was having problems with their ear and our manifest classpath
completion, they were getting an objection they had trouble
understanding.  (GERONIMO-3316).  I've got the code so where it
produces better messages, but I'm not quite sure the best way to
provide an option to warn instead of stop.

I modified DeploymentException to take a list of causes, so at least
we'll always get all the problems we find rather than just the
first.  I'm wondering if an appropriate way to implement the warn/
throw behavior is a static field (set from a system property?????? or
a gbean?????????) in DeploymentException and a factory method

public void warnOrThrow(String message, List<DeploymentException>
causes, Log log) throws DeploymentException {
     if (causes.isEmpty()) {
         return;
     }
     DeploymentException ex = new DeploymentException(message, causes);
     if (strict) {
         throw ex;
     } else {
         log.warn("Normally fatal deployment error:", ex);
     }
}

I'm not completely thrilled with this idea but it seems sort of ok.
Anyone have a better idea?

thanks
david jencks