geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Apache Roller v4.0 plugin
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:57:42 GMT

On Jul 18, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Peter Petersson wrote:

> Nice repacking David your experience shines right throw it  ;)  I
> have some suggestions that may future enhance the plugin.
>
> As it is now the roller exposed plugin modules consist of a
> database choice and a container choice but as the roller-jetty and
> roller-tomcat modules is dependent on specific database
> configurations, in the current setup the derby database, and as
> this dependency seems to be hard to "work around"(?) it would maybe
> be a good idea to rearrange the modules as follows
>
> * roller-jetty-derby  (prev roller-jetty)
> * roller-jetty-mysql  (new)
> * roller-tomcat-derby (prev roller-tomcat)
> * roller-tomcat-mysql (new)
>
> ... and so on, and just expose them as the instalable roller plugin
> alternatives leaving the database modules (roller-xxxx-database) to
> be automaticaly pull in (prev. selectable).
>
> Would this be preferable or do you (David) or anyone else have
> other ideas on how to best package the roller plugin to be easy
> maintainable and expendable to other roller supported databases ?
> Im quite new to maven, plugins and G for that mater so there may be
> more elegant solutions to this, anyway i find myself needing a
> roller-tomcat-mysql module to be able to test that combo out
> without messing with the current roller-tomcat (derby specific)
> module.

I think instead of the above we can add a line to var/config/
artifact_aliases.properties

org.apache.geronimo.plugins/roller-derby-database//
car=org.apache.geronimo.plugins/roller-mysql-database/2.0-SNAPSHOT/car

Then roller will start using the mysql database configuration.

I haven't actually installed mysql and tried this, but based on a lot
of use of artifact_aliases in the tck it should work fine.  Could you
try it?

I think we need to add the capability of adding/removing stuff from
artifact_aliases to the plugin system so that if you install the
roller-mysql plugin it adds this line all by itself.

thanks
david jencks