geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <pe...@pmb.mine.nu>
Subject Re: Apache Roller v4.0 plugin
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:58:56 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Peter Petersson wrote:
>
>> Nice repacking David your experience shines right throw it  ;)  I
>> have some suggestions that may future enhance the plugin.
>>
>> As it is now the roller exposed plugin modules consist of a database
>> choice and a container choice but as the roller-jetty and
>> roller-tomcat modules is dependent on specific database
>> configurations, in the current setup the derby database, and as this
>> dependency seems to be hard to "work around"(?) it would maybe be a
>> good idea to rearrange the modules as follows
>>
>> * roller-jetty-derby  (prev roller-jetty)
>> * roller-jetty-mysql  (new)
>> * roller-tomcat-derby (prev roller-tomcat)
>> * roller-tomcat-mysql (new)
>>
>> ... and so on, and just expose them as the instalable roller plugin
>> alternatives leaving the database modules (roller-xxxx-database) to
>> be automaticaly pull in (prev. selectable).
>>
>> Would this be preferable or do you (David) or anyone else have other
>> ideas on how to best package the roller plugin to be easy
>> maintainable and expendable to other roller supported databases ? Im
>> quite new to maven, plugins and G for that mater so there may be more
>> elegant solutions to this, anyway i find myself needing a
>> roller-tomcat-mysql module to be able to test that combo out without
>> messing with the current roller-tomcat (derby specific) module.
>
> I think instead of the above we can add a line to
> var/config/artifact_aliases.properties
>
> org.apache.geronimo.plugins/roller-derby-database//car=org.apache.geronimo.plugins/roller-mysql-database/2.0-SNAPSHOT/car

> Then roller will start using the mysql database configuration.
>
> I haven't actually installed mysql and tried this, but based on a lot
> of use of artifact_aliases in the tck it should work fine.  Could you
> try it?

I can now confirm that the artifact_alias switch worked :) although with
a couple of glitches.

I started with installing the roller derby db on tomcat and the database
tables was created nicely. Installed tomcat-roller and started it up as
expected, added a roller user account  (to make some changes in the
roller derby db). Added and saved the artifact alias line (manually) and
installed the mysql-roller-database (or maybe I did it the other way
around) getting some errors as the table, via the
DatabaseInitializationGBean and script, creation didn't work, created
them manually.
Now /roller was off-line (not a total surprise) and it wouldn't start as
it complained about missing dependency on the roller-derby-database.
Restarting the Geronimo server resolved the problem roller could be
started and my newly created account (in the derby db) was, as expected,
gone. Created a new account and confirming the mysql database update
with "select * from rolleruser". I may get some time this weekend to try
to make this a bit smother.

thanks
   Peter Petersson