geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ideas on a rc.d kind of directory
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:29:29 GMT

Jeff Genender wrote:

> Donald Woods wrote:
>> Is this a scenario that would be better handled by the gshell code in
>> sandbox or some daemon code that also handles the multiple server
>> instance support?
>> Thought here, would be gshell could read a standard Java properties file
>> for JVM args and then launch the server with them.....
>>

> As long as one JVM launches, the other (ie. gshell or groovy can start
> another instance of a JVM) then this is doable.  Otherwise, this won't
> work...with my Terracotta example being a reason.
>
>> In my eyes, scripts are a no-go, unless you can make them platform
>> neutral and not require users to install a third-party solution like
>> Perl (on Windows) to make it work.
>
> We already ship sh and bat code...why would this be a no-go?  If this is
> the case, then we shouldn't be shipping startup scripts in bat and sh
> format.

I know Jason would be in favor of dropping the complicated .sh/.bat files we
have now, as we have seen several breakages between them this release (between
the openjpa agent, handling spaces in paths on Windows, file separators, ...)

My point, was that having to provide 2 scripts per extension (Unix and
Windows) would be troublesome for some, like all you Mac users who hate
Windows :-)

-Donald