geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jay D. McHugh" <...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.1 - what's next?
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 16:48:02 GMT
I was also thinking about the delivered server (since we have been
discussing footprint).

Perhaps we could deliver Geronimo as two pieces:
1) A minimal server that provides a console for adding plugins or plugin
'packages' (ie: certified jee5 tomcat server)
2) An archived plugin repository.

If someone knows that they will be able to access the online plugin
repository, then they would only need to download the basic server (nice
and small) and add plugins as needed.

Hopefully, that will avoid all of the transitive dependency and unneeded
module issues.

We could decide what combinations we wanted to certify on and provide
those as templates (or profiles or packages or whatever name we came up
with for them) for easy installation.

And, if users put together combinations that they thought might be
useful for others - they could possibly upload them as a package profile
(or at least email them around).

That would add a step for someone who wanted to just download a JEE5
server - but it would emphasize that Geronimo is more than just a JEE
server.

Jay