geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Apache Roller v4.0 plugin
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:45:04 GMT

On Jul 21, 2007, at 8:11 AM, Peter Petersson wrote:

> Considering the tight schedule and the work that needs to be done i
> G to add functionality to the plugin system for smooth and
> automatic artifact alias switching and my latest findings
> surrounding this regarding the roller plugin ( see https://
> issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2994?
> page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-
> tabpanel#action_12514407 ) i propose the following changes and
> arrangement of the roller plugin modules
>
> * roller-jetty-derby (in new branch for Gv2.0 release)
> * roller-tomcat-derby (in new branch)
> * roller-jetty-mysql (in new branch)
> * roller-tomcat-mysql (in new branch)
> * roller-jetty (in trunk for future release)
> * roller-tomcat (in trunk)
> * roller-derby-database (in branch and trunk)
> * roller-derby-resources (in branch and trunk)
> * roller-mysql-database (in branch and trunk)
> * roller-mysql-resources (in branch and trunk)
> * roller-war (in branch and trunk)
> Additional files 2 separate geronimo-plugin.xml files in branch an
> trunk respectively.
> By setting up the new modules listed above to depend on there
> respective database modules and jpa settings they will not be far
> away from "ready" for plugin usage (without aliasing) not long
> after G v2.0 and Roller v4.0 release and we will be able to
> continue working on the artifact aliasing switch for plugins on the
> roller-jetty and roller-tomcat modules. This implies changing the
> geronimo-plugin.xml file to include only the for new modules for
> the first incarnation of the roller G plugins until things are
> ready for aliasing switch usage. We could also branch the roller-
> plugin repository as shown above to make the intention and usage of
> the modules clearer.
>
> This is just a suggestion (and me being a bit eager to get
> something out). This is a minor change (that I am naturally willing
> to participate in) but once again ;) it may have implications I
> haven't thought of, so it may still not be the best way to go
> ahead, thoughts ?
>
> In future releases of the roller plugin we should look in to
> including the roller planet subsystem and other enhancements like
> contributed themes and adding more roller supported databases.

I appear to have planet working, I updated the ROL-1482 jira for
this, and the derby resources jar.  I'm not sure how to tell if
planet is actually working, but administering it doesn't generate any
errors :-)

I think we should look at removing the "resources" jars, putting the
override properties files perhaps in our war (?), and using the built-
in roller schema creation (installation.type=auto).

It would also be great to get the roller files into the g. var
directory and expose some of the properties file configuration
somehow in a gbean or the admin console.

As I noted in the geronimo jira I think we can sidestep the
DBDictionary problem by leaving out the property in web.xml and
letting openjpa figure out for itself what db is being used.

I don't think I understand your proposal above.  Maybe we have
different assumptions about how the roller plugin will be released.
I've been wanting since the plugins were invented to distribute a lot
of geronimo as plugins, each on its own release cycle.  So I was
thinking that the roller plugin(s) would get released separately from
geronimo after g. 2.0 was out, and that the maven projects for them
would remain under plugins/roller.  We might need trunk + tags +
branches :-).   Is this what you were thinking?

thanks
david jencks