geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:27:27 GMT
Short answer:
The plan is to pick up Tomcat 6.1.0 when it becomes available.  Right
now that branch is undergoing significant rework for comet support so
I wouldn't expect a release until it stabilizes.

Long answer:
GERONIMO-3206 describes how Geronimo's Tomcat component is currently
built.   It is based on Tomcat's 6.0.13 release which is missing two
things that Geronimo needs in order to pass all tests:
-  My patch for bugzilla 42436.  It's applied to 6.0.x trunk but not
released yet.
-  David Jencks' annotation patch, which they decided to apply to
6.1.0 (trunk) instead of their 6.0.x maintenance stream.  It should
be available in 6.1.0.

I saw where you had posted in Vamsi's bugzilla asking them to make
his patch available in a 6.0.x release in time for Geronimo 2.0.
Please keep in mind that even if they apply that patch and vote a new
6.0.x release in the time frame you requested (July) we would still
need to merge David's annotation patch since they did not apply it to
6.0.x.  That is unless you would rather request that they apply
Vamsi's patch to trunk and release 6.1.0.   In that case they would
also need to apply my patch for the regression problem in bugzilla
42559 (I think Remy plans to do that eventually since he already
applied it to 6.0.x).

Best wishes,

On Jul 9, 2007, at 1:24 PM, Donald Woods wrote:

> What's the status of a new Tomcat release before we release 2.0?
> We still have the private patches/build from GERONIMO-3010/3206 and
> another bug opened by Vamsi in GERONIMO-3273.
> -Donald
> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>> We've gone through the CTS grind and came out victorious http://
>> OpenEJB has moved to TopLevel and CXF has certified and Axis 2 is
>> working that way too.
>> All in all its been an excellent six months.
>> So, what are we going to do for 2.0 and getting it out the door?
>> Here are my thoughts and we can use this thread to gather everyone
>> else's and come to a consensus.
>> 2.0 Ship Criteria
>> Date:  mid to end of July (a target only...depends on content)
>> Certified Assemblies
>> Tomcat, Axis 2 and OpenJPA
>> Jetty, CXF and OpenJPA
>> Other assemblies would be the minimal assemblies but cert doesn't
>> apply to them.
>> Work on fit and finish stuff (cleaning up error messages,
>> improving diagnostics, reducing footprint).
>> Personally, I'd like to see the full G have a footprint of about
>> 40MB (that's a little over 5MB larger than 1.1.1) and Minimal be
>> around 20MB.  Need to do some research on this (volunteers?)
>> I'm not sure how the WADI clustering presents itself across the
>> two different assemblies (Gianny, comments?)
>> Post 2.0 Items
>> What to do about OSGi?  Seems like there has been discussion but
>> no real movement in this area.
>> Flexible Server (there has been some discussion on the list about
>> allowing users without a PhD in G to create their own custom
>> assemblies.
>> Would be neat to Create a minimal assemblie that included
>> ServiceMix for a lightweight ESB endpoint
>> Better monitoring and diagnosis
>> Thoughts?

View raw message