geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3rd party integration with the Geronimo web admin console
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:40:42 GMT
Nat,  There is some work going on right now for Geronimo 2.x to make
the admin console more modular and extensible.   It is conceptually
similar to what you found for Geronimo 1.x but is based on a newer
version of pluto which has better support for dynamically adding
portal pages.

One of the primary use cases sounds in line with what you describe
where a component, application, or plugin needs to add new portlets
to the admin console.   We're still ironing out some of the details
but the basic idea will be that you will package your portlets in a
WAR and use a gbean provided by Geronimo to add your portal pages to
the admin console's navigator.

This document describes how to create and deploy your portlet WAR:
     http://portals.apache.org/pluto/v11/deploying.html
All of that information is relevant except for the part titled
"Portal Page Configuration".   That will be handled by a gbean
referenced from your WAR's deployment plan instead of by editing an
XML file.

Right now the code is in sandbox/portals and there's a README in
there if you would like to build it and try it out.  Feedback is most
definitely welcome.  I would like to move the code into server/trunk
soon after a 2.0 branch is cut.

Best wishes,
Paul