geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo-Tuscany integration(Sending to both lists)
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:19:24 GMT
On 7/4/07, Manu George <manu.t.george@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes you are right. But if you see the Tuscany samples it supports SCA
> modules that don't have sca-contribution.xml and just a .composite
> file. So I was on two minds here whether to mandate
> sca-contribution.xml or not.

Hi Manu,

Let's see what's in the spec - (1.10.2 Contributions page 64):

A document should exist directly under the META-INF directory named sca-
contribution.xml which lists the SCA Composites within the
contribution that are runnable.

So, it's a recommendation only. I guess Tuscany looks for the file and
if it's found it makes composities available at runtime.

I'd like to find out what's the rules to discover composities in
Tuscany are. How does it search for composite file (only in the
top-level directory or jar file?).

> Ultimately we should be able to have selected JEE artifacts exposed in
> the SCADomain as composites so that there can be reuse of the
> exisiting JEE components in SCA and SCA components should be usable in
> JEE.

That's the idea. Run Tuscany and install Geronimo services as
composities that export services or if it's possible map Geronimo
services to SCA services directly with no need to wrap'em as
composities.

> (a) enable deployment of tuscany artifacts in geronimo.
> (b) Enable usage of tuscany related annotations like @Reference in web
> components like    servlets filters etc and expose the war as a
> composite to the SCADomain so that SCA can do the wiring of these
> references to other SCA services. Thus u can have DI of SCA services
> in the web components and u can access them in jsps as well.
>
> (c) Enable EJB modules and Enterprise applications to expose their
> functionality as SCA services and also consume other SCA Services
> deployed in the Tuscany runtimes.
>
> (d) There is no concept of applications in SCA. So there could be
> multiple applications that expose their services to one domain and
> another set of applications that expose theirs to another domain.
> (atleast thats my understanding as of now)
>
> (e) Tuscany services can have different scopes like session etc. We
> may need to map these scopes with the scopes of JEE artifacts when
> they are exposed.

It looks as a good approach to Tuscany-Geronimo integration.

> P.S.  I am putting the tuscany dev list in cc, so that they can also
> participate in this discussion.

I think it should only go to Tuscany as there's lots of SCA info and
eventually send summary reports here once per week or so.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl