geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From jason.dil...@gmail.com
Subject Re: Should we cancel 1.2?
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:55:16 GMT
Er cause we are so damn close. I have always had a crummy feeling about this... That 2.0 would
go before 1.2 did :-(  I put a lot of work into getting the activem(my phone is whack and
some keys don't work anymore post dropping in beer)... And I don't want that to go to waste.
 Also the changes reuired to go from 1.x to 1.2.x are much less that to 2.0.x.

Since 1.x isn't really mantained anymore, due to build system insanity... Having a 1.2 would
be good for folks that need a supported/maintainable G platform w/o needing to make even more
changes to use 2.0.

Also... Shit we are so close.  And IMO it really looks bad if we just drop it. Its almost
there. I see value in that release. Let's just *ucking do it and then if needed make a 1.2.1
for anything that comes up.

IMO this release has been dragged on for way too long.... Which weighs poorly on us.

Perfection in software development is a fallacy. Build, test, release, patch.... Repeat.

We all want to release perfectly performing bits... But reality suggests that is not possible.
So release what you have.... Add some notes for known issues and continue. If you really try
to fix every thing before a release.... The release will never happen, as someone always has
some issue.

Its already passed the tck, so let's just push it out as is and get community feedback. I
think that is much more valuble, real user input, than waiting in limbo for the perfect set
of bits.

--jason