geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: J2G Conversion tool got a makeover. Now what?
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2007 20:56:56 GMT
Having a j2g migration target runtime wouldn't really be the right
thing to do.  A target runtime is basically a Eclipse ClassPath
Container that gets added to your project that defines your project's
JRE as well as the set of runtime jars that are needed to compile
your application for a particular j2ee server.  The idea was when
this is swapped, for you to use a wtp data model operation to add pre
and/or post operations to extend the operation that applies or
changes a target runtime for a project.  I'm not sure why they
introduced allowing multiple target runtimes it very well could be a
bug.

Since this takes a little more digging and understanding into WTP
api's and extension points Id start with the basics.

Create a context menu action that operates on an IProject (you can
later filter it based on if its a J2EE project and what its current
target runtime is) but for now, just enable if for all IProjects.
Then as I suggested earlier, run through the project resources to
invoke the necessary operations on each resource.   You should be
able to do this with the base eclipse platfrom API's, and I think J2G
is using stuff from JDT.

In the long run this really needs to be done completely through WTP
API's, otherwise its behavior of it will be really ugly :), and it
won't have the seamless integration into the product we are looking for.

-sachin

-sachin