geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Can we conclude the Vote on WS-META-Data early? --- Please resond if you object
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:44:29 GMT

> I don't understand the release process for specs to tell what is
> going on, however there is no https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
> geronimo/specs/tags/geronimo-ws-metadata_2.0_spec-1.1.1 (what i'd
> expect a 1.1.1 to be under) nor a https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
> geronimo/specs/tags/geronimo-ws-metadata_2.0_spec-1.1 (what is
> actually shown in the newly added scm info).  IMO its slightly
> better to have no information rather than wrong information.

Fair comment I think.  For the most part few people actually follow
through to actually release software and we've done a poor job of
releasing them.  IIRC Dain had indicated he would handle the specs
but in reality it needs to be a community responsibility and not
dependent on one person.  So, as far as that goes, I believe we do
something different in Specs than we do for the Geronimo server and
I'm unaware of any documentation except perhaps older e-mail
threads.  If there is some doc a link would be appreciated.  If there
is blame to be assigned here then I spect it would be on me and not
Prasad as he asked my opinion on how to do some of this.  So with
that, here is my input.

Following what we do in Geronimo (where we do not use the release
plugin for a whole raft of other reasons) the branch has been updated
to look like it will exist when it is svn mv'd to https://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/tags/ so with that in mind I
think the SCM information is correct (or will be when the vote
concludes and the various bits are moved to their respective
locations.)  I think the SCM information is nice to have.

> At this point I'm
> +0 on releasing the original (no scm info) ws-metadata 1.1.1 jar
> -0 on releasing the modified one.
>
> Keeping track of the spec release procedure is beyond my limited
> abilities, but what is happening is not what I expected.  My dim
> recollections of the release procedure was that we would use the
> maven release plugin and that would correctly tag the source and
> generate/modify all the artifacts consistent with the new tag.  I'm
> confused because there is no 1.1.1 tag that I can find for ws
> metadata and the scm info does not appear to be getting updated.
> Is this a maven bug, is it not supposed to be updated by the
> release plugin, or something else?

It is not your inability to consume them I think it is our lack of
initiative to document and follow them.  Since I've been release dog
for a while I'll go hack up the CWiki and try to get this done once
and for all.  However, I'll do that on another thread.

Regarding the scm tags, as I noted above, it was a manual compromise
as I rememer in the past people complaining that they wanted to vote
on binaries that were not being released rather than what the release
plugin might generate.  Perhaps my inability to recollect is
contributing to this already confusing and wearing discussion on
release shtuffes.