geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Alheiros <Daniel.Alhei...@bbc.co.uk>
Subject Re: Yo yo... Xvfb, selenium blah
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:43:19 GMT
Hi

Sorry if I'm saying something stupid, but it's been a long time since I read
the forum discussions.

Wouldn't be enough to use the Java standard headless support?
It was introduced in JDK 1.4.2 (
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/awt/AWTChanges.html#headless)

I've used both xvfb and AWT headless and I could say that the second option
was much simpler to set up and more compatible.

Regards,
Daniel

On 8/6/07 04:50, "Jason Dillon" <jason@planet57.com> wrote:

> And now I think I've got the auto-detection of free display and rough/
> good-enough verification of Xvfb working now.
>
> Seems to work... so I've updated the docs a wee bit and deployed a
> new 1.0-beta-2-SNAPSHOT.
>
> I think I'm down working on this for now.  So Prasad, please have a
> look and let me know if this will work for you.  If so, I'll start a
> vote for a release later next week.
>
> On revision from the notes below, the default display is now :20, and
> it will try and detect a free display from :20 to :30 (and then give
> up and barf).
>
>   * * *
>
> BTW, the Xvfb config needs to be put into a profile, and explicitly
> activated, otherwise it will hose folks who don't have Xvfb installed
> (and the profile must cause the execution of the xvfb goal before
> start-server).  I suppose if we really want I could probably figure
> out how to detect when Xvfb is needed and if its available, but...
> for now lets just make it explicitly activated for folks that need
> the testsuite to run on a headless system.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --jason
>

> On Jun 7, 2007, at 8:05 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> Cool shtuffes ... your a busy beaver.
>>
>> On Jun 7, 2007, at 6:52 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>>
>>> So, I hacked up something in the latest 1.0-beta-2-SNAPSHOT of the
>>> selenium-maven-plugin.  Its deployed, and some site docs updated.
>>>
>>>     http://mojo.codehaus.org/selenium-maven-plugin/examples/
>>> headless-with-xvfb.html
>>>
>>> Still needs more meat, but I wanna make sure it works before I
>>> start investing in more docs.
>>>
>>> But basically, you need to configure an execution *before* start-
>>> server, for xvfb.  It will be default background, etc.  See the
>>> goal doc for more details:
>>>
>>>     http://mojo.codehaus.org/selenium-maven-plugin/xvfb-mojo.html
>>>
>>> Currently it will default to using DISPLAY=":1", not sure if that
>>> is correct or not.  Then it will fork an Xvfb process, write out a
>>> target/selenium/display.properties file, which has the DISPLAY= in
>>> it.  And I updated the start-server goal to look for that file,
>>> and if it exists set environment variables for each key/pair in
>>> that file.
>>>
>>> I think that should be sufficient to get headless muck working...
>>> though I've not tested any of it ;-)
>>>
>>> I think you will need to make the Xvfb process suid, as in:
>>>
>>>     chmod u+s `which Xvfb`
>>>
>>> This puppy needs to be run as root, or at least AFAIK it does.
>>>
>>> Anyways, give it a shot and lemme know how well it works, or if it
>>> works at all.  I will be around tomorrow to fix it up as needed.
>>> Maybe my network will be stable then so I can run some tests on
>>> the gbuild.org systems and better see how well it works out.
>>>
>>> Aighty?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> --jason

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are
not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify
the sender immediately.