geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject pluto portal for geronimo 2.0
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:34:11 GMT
We have talked about upgrading the admin console to use a more recent
version of pluto.  Now that geronimo 2.0 has taken shape I took a
look at pluto 1.2 and found that it has a lot of new features that we
should take advantage of, including the ability to make our admin
console more dynamic and customizable.  It is not backwards
compatible with the version that we currently use so we can't just
swap in the jars.  But that's OK since I think our goal to make the
admin console more dynamic probably warrants a bit of redesign
anyway.   I just committed some stuff to sandbox that demonstrates
one technique for integrating pluto into geronimo, and I think it can
serve as the basis for a more dynamic admin console as well.   You
can try it out by following these steps:

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/portals
cd portals
mvn
geronimo/bin/deploy.sh install-plugin pluto-container/target/pluto-
container-1.0-SNAPSHOT.car
geronimo/bin/deploy.sh deploy pluto-portal/target/pluto-portal-1.0-
SNAPSHOT.war
geronimo/bin/deploy.sh deploy pluto-testsuite/target/pluto-testsuite.war
point your browser at http://localhost:8080/pluto/portal

This works in the minimal or jee5 assemblies, but right now it only
supports tomcat because the <cross-context> setting is required in
geronimo-web.xml.  I was hoping to avoid a separate jetty module just
for that setting, but maybe that's unavoidable.   The maven related
stuff could probably use some tuning as well.

While working on this it occurred to me that we could consider
providing a native general purpose portal in geronimo, and the admin
console as we know it today could just be a collection of portlets
deployed into it that are only visible to users with sufficient admin
privileges.   The stuff in sandbox could also help us move things in
that direction if we like that idea.   Thoughts?

Best wishes,
Paul