geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2007 02:23:51 GMT
For footprint, we could shave 4-5MB by removing ApacheDS and a couple sample
apps that are getting installed.  Given there is a ApacheDS 1.0 and 1.5
release stream, we should move this out to the geronimo/plugins/trunk and
allow users to choose which level they want to install from our plugin site.....

Jay D. McHugh wrote:
> I agree that 'fit and finish' and tooling are probably the most
> important things to clean up before the final 2.0.0 release.
> As far as footprint - on my system, tomcat-jee5 is about 75M installed.
> Getting this down to 40M seems like a huge task to try to accomplish
> before releasing.  When we added Dojo to the server, that was an
> additional 6M right there - So maybe trying to cut 20-25M rather than
> 35M would be more realistic.
> Jay
> Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>> On 6/21/07, Matt Hogstrom <> wrote:
>>> We've gone through the CTS grind and came out victorious http://
>>> OpenEJB has moved to TopLevel and CXF has certified and Axis 2 is
>>> working that way too.
>>> All in all its been an excellent six months.
>>> So, what are we going to do for 2.0 and getting it out the door?
>> I think you narrowed it down to the acceptable minimum and the sooner
>> Geronimo 2.0 sees the light the better. No need to wait for anything
>> else but bugs and only those that prevent us from releasing Geronimo.
>> I know that having a Java EE 5 certified release as RC is not a good
>> option for many people. A Java EE 5 certified and final release is
>> what people seem to be waiting for - me at very least.
>> Of course, tooling is another factor why people would choose Geronimo
>> over...ekhm...other app servers so Eclipse and NetBeans support with
>> M2 plugins would be a great bonus to offer. Eclipse plugin is almost
>> ready whereas NetBeans IDE...hmm....more to come soon. I had some
>> minor issues with geronimo m2 plugin so when Geronimo gets appropriate
>> attention being able to boot up a fully Java EE 5 certified
>> application server and test out ears is another differentiator. So,
>> let's polish it and put on the shelves...asap - 07/15 the very least.
>> Jacek

View raw message