geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: pluto portal for geronimo 2.0
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:08:30 GMT
Paul,

I've been an advocate of this approach as well so thanks for taking the
initiative on this.  I'll take a look at what you've done later today.

There are probably a few issues we'll need to consider if we take this
"plugin" approach - splitting the console components from the underlying
portal infrastructure:
- Uniformity between various portal implementations for how to define
portlet page content, theme/skin definition, and any portal extensions
that we may use.
- Plugin dependencies based upon type - ie. the admin console plugin
would have a pre-req on a "portal" plugin but not necessarily a
particular "portal" plugin if we can pull manage to pull off this
separation.

Perhaps I'm taking this a bit farther than you intended at the moment.
We could certainly just split these components for now and have the
admin console tightly dependent upon a Pluto component.  That does
provide some benefits such as in allowing a user to choose the portal
without the admin console and allowing the user to integrate their own
portlets with Geronimo admin functions.  That's a good step forward.
Greater flexibility would be in allowing the user to choose the portal
they wish to use but I think this would require more portal standards
that do not yet exist.

Thanks for taking the first step here!

Joe