geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <>
Subject Re: Releasing the current SPECs
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 03:13:27 GMT
Geronimo's servlet, jsp, and el specs were copied from Tomcat since
at the time their jars were not available in a maven repo.  There has
been some drift between Geronimo's and Tomcat's copies of these
specs, but I provided some patches that they applied to tomcat6.0.x/
trunk that should make their copy pass all tests.

Tomcat is now publishing their jars to maven central, so if we can
wait for their next release (6.0.14) then we could use Tomcat's
servlet, jsp, and el spec jars for Geronimo 2.0 instead of releasing
and maintaining our own copy.  The advantage would be that we could
pick up Tomcat's bug fixes, e.g. they have already fixed the bug
reported in GERONIMO-3182.  And of course we could also avoid the
extra maintenance and release management overhead.  I think it would
help avoid confusing projects that depend on those specs as well?

Best wishes,

On Jun 7, 2007, at 11:36 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I am putting together a list of specs that need to be released.  I
> am planning on taking the current SNAPSHOTs in Geronimo and putting
> them up for individual votes.  Not to worry, if they change we can
> release another one but this will reduce the clutter and help out
> some o f our brethern that are also trying to release.
> Comments welcome.

View raw message