geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Stuck in discovering Annotations - Please Help!
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:57:27 GMT

On Jun 26, 2007, at 8:13 AM, Shiva Kumar H R wrote:

> This is with regard to auto generation of Geronimo deployment plans
> (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3254). One problem
> where I am currently stuck is in the discovery of Annotations.
>
> User input to my wizard/portlet would be the Java EE module (WAR/
> EJB-JAR/EAR) and output would be the Geronimo deployment plan. An
> important step in this process is to discover all references
> declared in the Java EE module and then ask the user to resolve
> them ( http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/
> 12360303/3ResolveReferences.gif).
>
> References declared in the spec deployment descriptor (web.xml/ejb-
> jar.xml) can easily be discovered by parsing the spec DD (lines 921
> to 959 of http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12360289/
> PoC.patch). References declared as Annotations in java code (with
> probably no mention in the spec DD) is what is posing the problem now.
>
> Are there any standard APIs that simplify the job of discovering
> these Annotations (and optionally get them into the spec DD)?
> Please note that this must be achieved without the need for
> actually deploying the Java EE module onto the server (user is in
> the process of still creating the Geronimo deployment plan using
> wizard/portlet).
>
> Any help and hints is greatly appreciated.

roughly the first thing the NamingBuilders do is find all the
relevant annotations and modify the spec dd by adding xml with the
same meaning (when not already overridden).  I recommend you figure
out how this works and use the NamingBuilders to do this.  You might
need to expose another method on the naming builders for your portlet
to call.

thanks
david jencks