geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: J2G Conversion tool got a makeover. Now what?
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2007 00:32:10 GMT
At this time as its currently implemented, I don't think it would
make a good inside the UI.  The context you're working in the IDE is
a "project" under development and J2G currently doesn't operate under
this context.  There would be no real advantage to allow it to be
invoked in the UI since it can't be operated on projects in the
workspace.

If any integration into the UI then the proper approach and it would
be fairly trivial is to go ahead with WTP integration...

All J2EE projects in WTP have a notion of a target runtime.  Every
application is required to have its target runtime set (JBoss,
WebSphere, Geronimo, etc..).  At any point in time you can retarget
an applications runtime to a different one.  So if an application's
runtime is set to JBoss, you can currently swap it over to Geronimo.
This operation can be extended to perform any other tasks.  In our
case, we would simply process the projects and traverse through the
content running any migrations necessary.

I don't think this would be too hard to do.  Its just picking out the
core peices currently inside J2G that actually do the migration on
particular resources and wrapping those in 1 or more WTP operations.
If this approach was taken I would be +1 to integrating this within
the Eclipse Plugin.

hope that helps.

-sachin