geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2007 23:03:26 GMT

On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> We've gone through the CTS grind and came out victorious http://
> java.sun.com/javaee/overview/compatibility.jsp
>
> OpenEJB has moved to TopLevel and CXF has certified and Axis 2 is
> working that way too.
>
> All in all its been an excellent six months.
>
> So, what are we going to do for 2.0 and getting it out the door?
>
> Here are my thoughts and we can use this thread to gather everyone
> else's and come to a consensus.
>
> 2.0 Ship Criteria
> Date:  mid to end of July (a target only...depends on content)
>
> Certified Assemblies
> Tomcat, Axis 2 and OpenJPA
> Jetty, CXF and OpenJPA

Seems reasonable. I think it's a good idea to run tests of alternate
combinations of web container and web services implementations. We
don't need to to commit to certifying the 2 additional
configurations. However, I think we'll benefit by keeping ourselves
honest...

> Other assemblies would be the minimal assemblies but cert doesn't
> apply to them.
>
> Work on fit and finish stuff (cleaning up error messages, improving
> diagnostics, reducing footprint).

One mandatory fit-and-finish item is a thorough review (and update)
of our license/notice files. Jacek already noted that our disclaimers
were out-of-date.

> Personally, I'd like to see the full G have a footprint of about
> 40MB (that's a little over 5MB larger than 1.1.1) and Minimal be
> around 20MB.  Need to do some research on this (volunteers?)

My unpacked geronimo 1.1.1 jetty server is 41 megs. 2.0-SNAPSHOT
unpacked is 73 megs. Would like to see the 2.0 size reduced. No way
that it'll be brought down to a 5 meg delta. Let's get an analysis of
where our growth is coming from. Then see what we think a reasonable
target is...

--kevan