geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can we conclude the Vote on WS-META-Data early? --- Please resond if you object
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 01:55:57 GMT
On Thursday 14 June 2007 17:08, David Jencks wrote:
> Alternatively, we can use the release plugin but the release plugin
> means we can't vote on the final jars since it automatically
> publishes to the final repository.

I just wanted to jump in and correct this misconception....

The release plugin doesn't publish anything anywhere.  All is does is
update poms, do some scm things, and re-invoke maven.    It's the deploy
plugin that actually does the deploy.  By default, the deploy plugin
will deploy to the distributionManagement stuff specified in the pom.
However, it does support a "altDeploymentRepository" flag to deploy to a
different location.

That all said, a LOT of work was put into various maven plugins in the
last couple of months of 2006 and the first few of this year to get
things setup to be able to do the normal:
mvn release:prepare; mvn release:perform
steps and have it do it in a way acceptable to normal apache rules. That
includes deploying to a staging area, GPG signing everything, injecting
LICENSE and NOTICE files into the jars (including source and javadoc
jars), etc...   At this point, it does require a little extra
configuration in the pom, but not a lot.

The main thing that's still "missing" is a tool to merge the staged area
into the final repository.  (straight copies may not end up with the
correct metadata.xml files)   There is another maven plugin that does
this, but it hasn't been released yet.  You kind of have to check it out
from svn and build it yourself to use it.

Some of us release managers are pretty lazy.   If all I have to do is
type the above command and answer a few questions (tag names and such),
I'm happy.  More than that and I'm not.   :-)

Anyway, thanks for all the effort to get the metadata jar out to us.
Thanks!

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer