geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <>
Subject Re: replacing geronimo's servlet, jsp, and el specs
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 19:19:54 GMT
IIRC the Tomcat has some non-compliant spec jars.  Specifically, the
annotations-api.jar is not correct... it has javax/persistence/
PersistenceContext$PersistenceContextType.class, but that class is
not an inner class and should be

I'm guessing there are other problems with that jar and based on that
I am concerned about the other spec jars they have.  Have we run the
signature tests on these jars?

Paul, I don't follow the tomcat list, so can you mention the bad code
to them?  Apache isn't allowed to ship non compliant implementations
of specs.

On May 23, 2007, at 8:16 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> Geronimo's servlet 2.5, jsp 2.1, and EL 1.0 specs were copied from
> tomcat6.   This was done because geronimo needed them for JEE5 but
> the tomcat team had not made those spec jars available in a maven
> repo.   See discussion at
> Since that time there have been some concerns raised on dev@tomcat
> about ASF maintaining multiple copies of these specs, and at least
> one geronimo has expressed frustration about drift between the two
> versions.
> Now thanks to Filip Hanik's efforts tomcat's JEE api jars are now
> available at the maven central repo.   If I verify that that these
> don't break TCK then are there any concerns with using them in
> geronimo 2.0 and deleting geronimo's copy of these specs from SVN?
> Best wishes,
> Paul

View raw message