geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Shiva Kumar H R" <shiv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A session I presented at ApacheCon on J2EE App development using Eclipse
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 20:09:33 GMT
I suspect your network connectivity is too good :-)

Here is an experiment I tried:
Connected from Home with a Mobile Internet Connectivity of 230Kbps ( :-(
that's the best Home connectivity I can get in my place) and tried
downloading Geronimo Eclipse Plug-in by clicking on "Don't see your server
listed" link. After about 25mins and 7.1MB of download volume Plug-in
installation failed with a Network Connection Error. When I tried again
(thank God, download restarted from where it last failed) it took another
25mins for an additional download volume of 7.8 MB with 3 restarts!

After this I tried downloading a zip of eclipse plug-in (
http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/unstable/g-eclipse-plugin-2.0.0-v20070430.1413-deployable.zip)
using a download accelerator. This time it took 50mins for 17MB of download
volume to complete and there were no download errors.

In addition being able to download a zip allows me to backup a copy of the
setup for later use, which wouldn't be trivial if I use automatic download
by IDE.

We probably can recommend users to install via Eclipse update site, yet make
available a zip of eclipse plug-in for direct download. What do you say?

We probably can also work to reduce the size of Geronimo Eclipse Plug-in.

- Shiva