geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Anita Kulshreshtha <>
Subject Re: Naming the servers
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 12:10:40 GMT

--- Matt Hogstrom <> wrote:

> This sounds reasnaonable and it would make life easier with  a
> README.txt in ./instances to help people get going.  Also, leaving
> the default geronimo single server in $G/var makes sense as priori
> users won't have to search where things are.

   I am glad that the supporters of 'var' have spoken up. During this
discussion 5 people preferred to keep the 'var' directory as is. So the
default instance shall remain nameless..  Assuming that we are going to
have a template/var, there is good news for the other 2 choices. Here
are some important points about customization:
1. template 'var' dir can be put anywhere, it is not used by the
server. It is there just for making copies. One could put it in:
instances/template. Thus we will have -
2. The original default instance, i.e. 'var' can be deleted!!! An
instance with default ports can be put under instances/default. If
people do not like a nameless default instance, they can create one
with a name like 'servers/...' In other word this feature can be used
for naming the default instance. Please try this out and report any
   If every one agrees, I would like to commit instances/template/var
part [1]. It is a useful cosmetic change. Please do reply to this
thread if you need more time to think about this.

Do You Yahoo!?