geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Naming the servers
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 22:35:19 GMT
On May 4, 2007, at 7:45 AM, David Jencks wrote:
> I haven't had time to look at this thoroughly but I have a couple
> comments anyway.  Take them with plenty of salt.
>
> 1. IMO anyone using this feature is likely to want to heavily
> customize geronimo so their "template" bears little resemblance to
> what we supply.  If they don't do this, we've failed to provide a
> sufficiently customizable server.  So I think its equally important
> to provide facilities to extract a "minimal" server that will run a
> set of apps and make it the template.
>
> 2. I think the predominant use of uncustomized geronimo will be as
> a single server so I'm reluctant to, for this use, hide "var" under
> a couple more directories.  It would certainly make my use of
> geronimo more complicated.  I'm worried that to make life a little
> easier for advanced users we may be making it more complicated for
> beginners.  What do other people think?

I dunno... It shouldn't be that much work to setup the default
configuration to be multi-node compatible.  I recall that what I
setup for jbucks all so many years ago...

I do think that we need to provide some out of the box node-
management tools to go with this.  I think that this would be ideal
use for GShell ;-)  And actually the whole tiny-bootstrap JVM thingy
I've been mentioning here and there, would be ideal for GShell as
well...

--jason