geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Anita Kulshreshtha <a_kuls...@yahoo.com>
Subject How do we build Geronimo?
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 08:22:25 GMT
Hi All,
  We all have our own favorite way of building Geronimo. But how TCK
builds Geronimo affects us all. It would benefit us all to know how the
incremental changes are built in TCK. It is reasonable to assume that
for every minor change TCK does/can not build from an empty .m2 repo. I
am hoping that we can discuss answers to the folloing questions here
without disclosing anything covered under NDA.
1. What steps are followed when geronimo-kernel or the jars in the lib
are modified?
2. What steps are followed when a plugin is modified?
3. What steps are followed when ge-activemq-ra.rar module is modified?
4. Do we use mvn ( as opposed to mvn clean install) for assemblies?
5. Do we depend on 'mvn clean' to delete the target directory when
building assemblies?
6. Do we use a server image generated by an online build that did not
start with a clean .m2 repo?
7. What steps are taken to ensure that the build does not download any
published (stale) geronimo SNAPSHOTs during an online build?
   The way our build works, all changes (patches) are not created
equal. Some of them might need build instructions like build with empty
repo, build with empty geronimo repo, clean assemblies, ensure local
geronimo artifacts etc.. I am hoping we can establish TCK build
guidelines for integrating various kinds of changes.
  We could also categorize patches using 'degree of build' required. It
would allow people working on TCK to ban certain kinds of changes
officially. For example they could say we are in ... phase and only
accepting changes below .... category. WDYT?

Thanks
Anita

Get your own web address.