geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A session I presented at ApacheCon on J2EE App development using Eclipse
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 20:41:23 GMT
The update manager needs to remain the official means of
installation.  The zip distributions are available and we'll continue
to make them available, but this should not be and will not be as a
documented installation method.  The don't see your server link
automatically chooses a default mirror location, so the cause of your
slow downloads is most likely due to the mirror not being the ideal
server for your location.  Thus you can always use the update manager
directly as the website suggests so that you can select a mirror of
your choosing.  A zip distribution provides, no validation, no
dependency checking, no install location preference, and does not
automatically refresh the plugin cache when extracted, so a restart
will not load the plugins if previous versions of the plugin
existed.  Thus it should remain only a alternate install mechanism
that only individuals familiar with eclipse should use.

-sachin