geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: turn on/off restriction of WARs programmatically
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 21:59:26 GMT

On May 18, 2007, at 7:03 AM, Олег Тимофеев wrote:

> I'm going to code a Geronimo system module which is a realization
> of SAML Service Provide(for POJO web-services).
> I need manage processing requests to user-WARs.In other words sys
> admin must have a possibility to turn on/off restriction of WARs.
> When admin to turn on restriction of WARs I must process queries to
> a server. I can't set global request handler, because my SAML CAR
> must be deploy and undeploy from console without manual changes in
> config files.
> To process queries to a server I intend to use servlet filters.
> When admin turn on/off restriction of WARs my ConsoleGBean will add
> a servlet filter programmatically.

I imagine that you want to be able to turn things on and off without
redeploying the wars?  If so I think you need to install a filter in
all wars and have the filter delegate to something like the console
gbean you speak of (if it's present).  I believe for tomcat you can
do this by adding a filter to the "default" web.xml with the
appropriate filter mapping.  For jetty at the moment there's no way
to add a default filter mapping.  The filter could be set up as a
default filter, but the mapping for it would have to be added to
every web.xml "by hand".  It is probably easy to uncomment the
default filter mapping code in JettyModuleBuilder and make it work,
but right now it isn't working.

> Could you please advise on how can I programmatically add a servlet
> filter using Geronimo WebModule GBean?

I don't think this is possible.

I recently learned about jsr-196, jaspi, and suspect from my very
limited understanding of what it's for and what SAML is that SAML
support could be implemented through that spec.  Do you know anything
about this?  Would you be interested in working on implementing
JSR-196 or (if SAML support would really fit with that) SAML through
jaspi?

thanks, and if you can share details of what you come up with that
would be great!

david jencks