geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Help needed with geronimo.sh
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 06:59:01 GMT
I have to go back and see the directory layout your proposing.  I
didn't see a specific proposal in the JIRA so if I'm covering
existing ground my apologies.

How about for purposes of this discussion:

$G == GERONIMO_HOME

We organize servers by default as:

$G/var/servers/geronimo01/config
                                                    logs
                                                    tmp

and have

$G/var/config
               logs
               tmp
be a template that can be copied into new servers.  This way users
could easily customize their default.

Then, when a server instance is starting if the directory is not
there you fail with a message.  Suppose we want to start Geronimo
server geronimo03.  The user provides the required parm:

-Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.name=geronimo03 when starting the server.

If the tree doesn't exist we fail with a message like: "Server
instance 'geronimo03' has not been initialized.  Please run the
serverInstance.sh script to create a new instance."

The serverInstance.sh script would simply copy the template files
into a new tree like:

$G/var/servers/geronimo03/config
                                                   logs
                                                   tmp

This way the server operates out of the box in this configuration
with a default name, the server itself does not have to manage the
environment and the user has the usability increased because we have
a script that will set things up.  How does this approach sound?
Sounds like we're almost there.