geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Why are we including native code in Geornimo (aka. JLine)
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:46:42 GMT
On Apr 18, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
> Is this not a disaster waiting to happen?

Windows is a disaster waiting to happen... oh wait its happened already.

> Do we really need to include this package just for usage by the
> following?
> modules\geronimo-deploy-tool\src\main\java\org\apache\geronimo
> \deployment\cli\InputPrompt.java
>
> From their website -
> " JLine is not 100% pure Java. On Windows, it relies on a .dll file
> to initialize the terminal to be able to accept unbuffered input.
> However, no installation is necessary for this: when initialized,
> JLine will dynamically extract the DLL to a temporary directory and
> load it. For more details, see the documentation for the
> jline.WindowsTerminal class.
>
> On UNIX systems (including Macintosh OS X), JLine will execute the
> stty command to initialize the terminal to allow unbuffered input.
> For more details, see the documentation for the jline.UnixTerminal
> class.
>
> For both Windows and UNIX systems, JLine will fail to initialize if
> it is run inside a strict security manager that does not allow the
> external programs. However, for most console applications, this is
> usually not the case. "

If for some crazy reason the terminal detection fails, then it goes
back into fallback mode, so the worst thing that could happen is the
old method of getting passwords by erase line/rewrite line will be
used.  What we used to have in Geronimo to support that is now part
of JLine itself.

I don't see any reason to yank out JLine... unless you can
demonstrate a specific environment where this use blows up
completely... and really in that case I'd rather just get JLine fixed
to not blow up.  But I have yet to find that environment where it
explodes on impact.  We have been using this for a while now and so
far no one has noticed any problems, or at least no one reported any
problems.

By the way when I finally get done with this build crapo and get back
to GShell, then it makes heavy use of the completion and history
features of JLine, which makes for a really nice interface when you
telnet/ssh into the server to run commands or execute admin scripts.

--jason