geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: need help on Tomcat and EJB web services
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:40:38 GMT

On Apr 17, 2007, at 8:02 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> Jarek and I have been struggling with an issue we encountered in
> Geronimo's TomcatEJBWebService that has to do with how EJB web
> services become URL addressable after they are deployed.   You can
> see the full discussion here:
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2841
>
> In a nutshell, the basic problem is that when an HTTP client
> requests http://hostname/context Tomcat will automatically redirect
> the request to http://hostname/context/  (note the trailing
> slash).  This behavior is mandated by section 9.10 of the servlet
> 2.4 specification which says:
>     "A request URI of /foo will be redirected to a URI of /foo/"
>
> The reason this behavior causes a problem for our web services
> implementation is because when Geronimo's EJBWebServiceGBean
> deploys a web service it uses a context without the trailing slash,
> e.g. "/JAXWSBeanService/JAXWSBean".  Then a web service client
> sends a POST request to that location, http://hostname/
> JAXWSBeanService/JAXWSBean, Since that URL corresponds to a context
> Tomcat responds with a redirect URL that appends the trailing
> slash.  Jarek has found that this redirect causes a problem for web
> service clients because they will respond to it with a GET instead
> of a POST, thus losing the original method and structure of the
> request by the time it reaches the web services container.
>
> In case you're wondering, Jetty also exhibits this redirect
> behavior by default and Geronimo's JettyEJBWebService avoids it by
> overriding ContextHandler.handle().  But Tomcat implements this
> redirect behavior at the connector level and and I have not found
> any reasonable way to override it (maybe I am overlooking
> something).  It used to be configurable but that support was
> explicitly removed:
>     http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=298787
>
> At this point we have identified the following options.  Any
> feedback you can provide would be very helpful.
>
> 1.)  Figure out some clever way to "outsmart" Tomcat and avoid the
> redirect behavior.  I haven't found any way to do this but maybe
> someone else has an idea.  Maybe this is not desirable since it
> arguably violates the servlet spec.
> 2.)  Ask Tomcat to reimplement the configuration option they
> removed in rev 298787 that would allow us to avoid the redirect
> behavior.  Again, maybe not desirable since it arguably violates
> the servlet spec.
> 3.)  Redesign TomcatEJBWebService to deploy web services as
> servlets instead of contexts.  This would be a significant design
> change and would also be inconsistent with our current
> implementation in Jetty.

My guess is this is the best bet, but I couldn't figure out what
context root and servlet-mapping would apply to  an ejb web service.
Does tomcat let you deploy a lot of apps at the same context-root?
If so, perhaps we can deploy each ejb-ws at "/"

I'm not very worried about the tomcat implementation being different
from the jetty implementation.  I'm more worried about this being a
lot of work.  We might need to implement the tomcat object that runs
Digester to construct the servlet wrapper for us.

thanks
david jencks