geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0-M5 (rc1) binaries available
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2007 04:01:49 GMT
In the beginning I think we were tracking more of a clearly defined
content but as we get toward the end of 2.0 from a function complete
perspective the line does tend to blur.  The goals from my
perspective were really twofold.  One was to put a regular drop of
code to our users.  The second was to help refine our process as
every release we ran into new issues that led to delays in getting a
release out.

User's clearly want to have builds they can get ahold of and test
with.  Looking at the User mailing list I see several references to
M3, or where is M4 so its clear that users find them valuable.
Toward that end a continuous stream of builds is good.

I think we've also helped to refine our process.  At this point
cranking out a release is significantly better and many of the legal
and packaging issues that has plagued us have been resolved.  I'm not
sure we need to continue releasing on a monthly basis.  That said, we
still need to keep up on the process so it doesn't fall apart over
time.  Also, one added benefit to doing the drill is people take a
slightly more critical look at the content of the build.  Overall,
there is benefit to doing it but it is expensive.  Just like Jason
has observed on several occasions that if we don't keep an eye on
things they fall into disrepair (like the build).  Anyway, probably
more of a balancing act; we're better off than we were and we're just
finding the right balance.

Thoughts?