geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Why are we including native code in Geornimo (aka. JLine)
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:36:35 GMT
Is this not a disaster waiting to happen?  Do we really need to include
this package just for usage by the following?
modules\geronimo-deploy-tool\src\main\java\org\apache\geronimo\deployment\cli\InputPrompt.java

 From their website -
" JLine is not 100% pure Java. On Windows, it relies on a .dll file to
initialize the terminal to be able to accept unbuffered input. However,
no installation is necessary for this: when initialized, JLine will
dynamically extract the DLL to a temporary directory and load it. For
more details, see the documentation for the jline.WindowsTerminal class.

On UNIX systems (including Macintosh OS X), JLine will execute the stty
command to initialize the terminal to allow unbuffered input. For more
details, see the documentation for the jline.UnixTerminal class.

For both Windows and UNIX systems, JLine will fail to initialize if it
is run inside a strict security manager that does not allow the loading
of libraries, writing to the file system, or executing external
programs. However, for most console applications, this is usually not
the case. "

-Donald