geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Release openejb-2.3-incubating
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 00:10:46 GMT
<note>
Copying g list because the same problem is relevant to the g 1.2
release.
</note>

This is still using some artifacts which are only in snapshot
repositories:

  * xmlbeans-maven-plugin 2.0.1-20060627.031204-7
  * maven-deploy-plugin 2.3-20061210.174233-3
  * maven-gpg-plugin 1.0-alpha-2-20061214.035657-1

While the version does not have SNAPSHOT in it... don't let that
trick you into thinking these are not SNAPSHOTS, because they are.
While the release plugin will let you roll something out like this,
use of these pinned snapshots will limit the build-ability of this
tree in the future.

While there is no real guarantee that any artifact in any repo (snap
or not) will really be around in the future (short or long term),
there is a high possibility that artifacts in a snap repo will not be
around for very long.  And even when using a pinned snapshot the fact
still remains that the storage of that artifact is transient and will
almost certainly not be available at some time in the future, which
will cause this tree (and the G 1.2 tree) to be unbuildable w/o
source changes.

The main problem here is the xmlbeans-maven-plugin
2.0.1-20060627.031204-7, which affects the G 1.2 build as well.  The
others are for release support and are in a profile which is not
enabled by default.

  * * *

I mention this not to derail the release... because I really want
this to get out so we can get G 1.2 out.  But we would really be in a
much better position to support the ongoing build-ability of this
tree if we did not have *any* artifacts which are required to build
that are only available in a transient snapshot repository.

If its a pain to get a release release from the mojo folks working on
the xmlbeans-maven-plugin, then we need to add these artifacts (and
any snaps which it may be depending on, I didn't look), into a local
repository that is checked into svn, just like G does (ie. http://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/branches/1.2/repository/ ).

--jason