geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Why are we including native code in Geornimo (aka. JLine)
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:34:24 GMT
Some good points.  See inline
On Apr 18, 2007, at 4:36 PM, Donald Woods wrote:

> Is this not a disaster waiting to happen?

Isn't everything we do a disaster waiting to happen :)

>   Do we really need to include this package just for usage by the
> following?
> modules\geronimo-deploy-tool\src\main\java\org\apache\geronimo
> \deployment\cli\InputPrompt.java
>
> From their website -
> " JLine is not 100% pure Java. On Windows, it relies on a .dll file
> to initialize the terminal to be able to accept unbuffered input.
> However, no installation is necessary for this: when initialized,
> JLine will dynamically extract the DLL to a temporary directory and
> load it. For more details, see the documentation for the
> jline.WindowsTerminal class.
>
> On UNIX systems (including Macintosh OS X), JLine will execute the
> stty command to initialize the terminal to allow unbuffered input.
> For more details, see the documentation for the jline.UnixTerminal
> class.
>
> For both Windows and UNIX systems, JLine will fail to initialize if
> it is run inside a strict security manager that does not allow the
> external programs. However, for most console applications, this is
> usually not the case. "

This was discussed previously and based on the usage it seemed like a
reasonable approach.  If someone has an all Java alternative that
would be excellent.  Rather than speculate on where things might fail
I'd rather since it hasn't broken anything (yet) I think it would be
better to focus on the specific areas where it is broken.  To date
I'm unaware of any.